Friday, April 03, 2009

Lost Boys Event

What is everyone planning for the Lost Boys film showing?

I have a captive audience with the film class. So far I have had two staff members and one student RSVP for the event. I was able to get the largest room on campus so hopefully I can accommodate everyone who wishes to come. I have the event posted on the monitors around campus and it will go in the student newsletter this week. I also bought two mini posters for National Library Week so that I can add the event to them and post one at each elevator. I have two facilitators for the discussion, one with a background in film and one with a background in sociology. I made canisters to place with the PACODES brochures in the library and at the front desk for donations.

What are you doing for food/snacks?

3 comments:

Chandra said...

Your plans sound similar to mine. I know someone who knows someone who adopted two Lost Boys, so I'm hoping to invite them to come to our event and share what it was like to adjust to life in Bismarck.

I almost had our former governor lined up to talk with us about his experiences with helping Lost Boys relocate in ND, but he has a schedule conflict. In his e-mail, he said, "I hope you have a great event with lots of people attending to learn about the saga of the Lost Boys and how they came to be in North Dakota....Maybe your event will lead to another in which we can participate!"

Chandra said...

I contacted someone at Concordia who's working with the donations. He said that book donations are welcome, and someone will send me info regarding what types of books they can use. They're coordinating with Better World Books.

Libby said...

The Fort Myers campus is showing the film on Tuesday, April 14, starting at 12:30 p.m. All are welcome to the screening but three classes that meet during that time are required to attend. (Professional Communication, English Composition, and Foundations of English II.)

Kate Hixson, our Gen Ed coordinator, and I will lead the discussion afterward. I am very lucky because Kate taught film last quarter and is quite used to this!

Our fund-raising is very low-key: We are asking for voluntary contributions of "a piece or two of silver from pocket or purse"!