Saturday, May 30, 2009

Disabled student

We have a new mid-start student who uses a wheelchair, and I am becoming well acquainted with her because she uses the library often. The other day she asked me to retrieve a book for her from a top shelf, and of course I was happy to help.

I have been thinking about her request ever since, however. Her disability literally "handicaps" her from being able to physically browse many of the bookshelves -- not just top shelves, but the second to the top shelves as well. I also know there are implements for even able-bodied people to retrieve hard-to-reach items. Yet I do not think she would want to use something like that even if I ordered one.

I don't think there is any "answer" to this ... it is just something I have been thinking about, especially since Emily noted we will be stressing "customer service" at our team meeting. Fortunately, the student seems comfortable asking for help, as I strive to have a "low key" and "accepting" environment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libby- If your student is comfortable asking you for assistance, I would let her take the lead in future transactions. The division ASCLA has tip sheets on how to interact w/patrons with disabilities (*person first*). I am mindful of this as I have one student who is in a chair, and have worked with Deaf patrons for a number of years. Here's one for persons with mobility impairments-

http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/ascla/asclaprotools/accessibilitytipsheets/tipsheets/4%20Mobility%20Impairmen.pdf

Libby said...

Thanks for this link, Hilary. Yes, I am glad the student is comfortable asking me for assistance.