Friday, May 29, 2009

Workshop series


This quarter I tried to turn my open workshops into a series. The flyers had the same elements. I did not use the word 'workshop' on any of them in hopes that students would be more apt to attend. I planned Internet Searching for Week 7, Database Demonstrations for Week 8, and APA Format for Week 9. Unfortunately I had no attendance for the Internet workshop. However, students at my Database Demonstrations said that they would have liked to attend. Note that all of the workshops are advertised on the monitors on campus, on the student portal, and emailed to all of the students. I exceeded my goal for increased attendance at my Database Demonstrations. I decided to do it as demonstrations, as Emily has suggested in an earlier blog. I had a signup sheet next to a bowl of Snickers. I had different databases set up on different monitors so that students could go around and check them out. Each monitor that had a database already set up had a sign with the name on the top and handouts next to it on how to use the database. They could also sign on to the open computers and do their own thing. I had a PowerPoint set up that kept running showing students how to create an account in EBSCO, save articles to a folder, and search several databases at once. The feedback from the students was positive and they expressed interest in attending the APA workshop next week. You can view the flyers on GoogleDocs in the very near future.

6 comments:

Amy Springer said...

I like your idea of not using the word "workshop." Hmmmm... I think I'm going to try that. Some synonyms are: practicum, clinic, seminar, *colloquium.

*I like this one, but I feel like I'd spend a lot of time explaining what it meant.

Kate Bessey said...

Yes, workshop = work!

Hmm... I wonder if there are other crafty descriptions out there. Maybe just "Help!", as in: Database Help, Research Help, APA Help.

I'm glad that the database session went well!! Did you have a lot of good questions?

Beth said...

I like your idea of having a powerpoint loop running along with a sign-up with incentive (candy).

LisaS said...

I am interested in how you did the APA. Did you have separate stations for this one? A power point running?

Cynthia said...

For the APA workshop, the students who had papers they were working on brought them. I didn't use PowerPoint, but I did use a projector. I brought up Word and showed them how to set it up for APA, insert header, do title page, and retype title on first page of body of paper. Then I showed them Noodlebib, becuase not everyone had used it. It worked out really well since many of the students had received their rough drafts back and they could correct them. Two students actually redid their reference pages in Noodlebib.

Pat said...

I love how you had this setup Cynthia! With different stations the students could browse at their own pace and interest, which probably sparked a question or two that you could then handily answer. You drew them in and then had them eating out of the palm of your hand!