Monday, June 08, 2009

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

The Fort Myers campus has hired an MLT coordinator (Steve Shelfer) and is trying to get enough students to start the program. I was surprised when Steve told me that 70% to 80% of a patient's medical record are lab results, but there's going to be a severe shortage of lab technicians to meet the needs of a growing and aging U.S. population. It "smelled" like a good news story to me, even if I weren't connected to a college that is new in town and offers the MLT associate's degree.

I emailed the story idea and some Labor Dept. stats to some local editors and reporters, some of whom I know. I wrote that although I have a vested interest in the college, "I think it is a great story idea - really a worry if the labs are unable to hire people - esp. in this economy."

The editor of Florida Weekly, with whom I am acquainted, sent a reporter to interview Steve and our MLT program was featured on the cover of the Business section, with a teaser on the front page: http://fortmyers.floridaweekly.com/news/2009/0603/business_plans/032.html

Now we just hope it piques students' interest!







4 comments:

Pat said...

Libby I admire your cleverness! What a great example of networking. Well done!

Chandra said...

Libby, that's wonderful! Impressive initiative!

LisaS said...

What a great idea! I don't have any friends in that business as my husband is a deputy and tends to run the other way when he sees them coming. They always seem to twist what was said to their benefit here in Mankato. Job well done.

帥陳 said...

v
slot game machine ,slot machine cabinet ,slot machine manufacturer ,barcode reader ,barcode scanner ,barcode scanners ,handheld scanner ,laser scanner ,室內設計 ,裝潢 ,上海旅遊,韓國旅遊,北京旅遊,杭州旅遊,九寨溝旅遊,旅行社,旅遊網,廈門旅遊,團體旅遊,桂林旅遊 ,Disposable plastic cups ,Biodegradables ,Biodegradable plastic ,Plastic manufacturer ,PLA