Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Clean Off your Google Goggles


I created a new workshop this past quarter called Clean off your Google Goggles.

I thought I'd share some of the concepts and a few of the slides.


I had the students help me make a list of what constitutes a quality website and a poor quality website. The students actually put together a nice list, and it was a great, interactive way to start the workshop.



Next, I showed the students some examples of bad websites and good websites. It's easy to find links for these sites b/c of lists like this provided on the web.



Then, I explained all the other fixings that Google has to offer like Google Scholar, Images, News, Maps, Alerts, etc. The students didn't seem aware of anything beyond the usual, basic google.com search. I think they were pretty intrigued by setting up an Alert to track websites and articles throughout the few weeks that they'd be doing research each quarter.

Also, I think they liked being able to search solely for newspaper articles similar to searching for newspaper articles in the databases.









Next, we went through the alternatives to Google. I took them through google search in each of the different jazzy google options like Scholar, etc, and then I used the same keywords that we selected in the Ebsco databases. Then, I took them to Encyclopedia Britannica.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damu pa kmu to?.. Nano ni klase blog man?

KJJ said...

Eeenie meenie miney mo?

I can't top the last comment but I can say that I always think your ideas and presentations are fantastic!

-Krista

Amy Springer said...

That comment must be spam :)

Thanks Krista!

Cynthia said...

What a great idea for a workshop! When did you do it and how many students attended?

Amy Springer said...

I did it on Tuesday, May 20th at 6pm. Eight students came. I have found that my workshops "pick up speed" as I do them each quarter.

Jan said...

I really think this is great! Especially showing the useful google tools. I am definitely going to incorporate that into presentations! Thanks for sharing.

Kate Bessey said...

That's great! Neat idea. Are a lot of the students that attend you workshops ones that have attended past workshops? I really struggle with participation on my campus.

LisaS said...

I love the way you advertise when you do workshops.

Amy Springer said...

I have a dabble of students that consistently attend, and then I have some newbies. I had my APizzaA workshop last week, and only 2 ppl came :(

Beth said...

This is a great way to get students to actively participate and find relevance in our workshops, Great idea! I may have to borrow it!

Amy Springer said...

If you'd like, I could email my whole ppt. Let me know.

Jan said...

I would love to have a copy of that if you don't mind sharing. Thanks Amy.