Thursday, June 26, 2008

Prof. Development on June 24 in Fargo

I enjoyed the presentation on the mock trial and brainstorming with faculty on how they could collaborate in their classes.
The presentation on the Baccalaureate culture was ok (it will take time to move to that completely, as long as we are still doing 2 yr degrees--that said, I think we are starting to head in that direction; it just will take time as we increase the numbers of 4 yrs students in MN).
The millennial student presentation was interesting but I find it to not be of much use, since not all millennials are necessarily in the (technology) group that they are supposed to fit in (and some boomers may be considered Gen Y because of their use of technology). I scored as a Gen X (which I am) but when I get a cell phone with a camera, I'll be bumped to Gen Y.
The HLC Reaccreditation was a nice refresher (I've been through ACICS, and HLC visits and self-studies before) and it was interesting to see how we as a college have grown (a large number of people in the room have been working for us a year or less and didn't realize what the concern was about the growth issue that HLC has:-)
Overall, it was a nice day, I got to connect with new faculty members at my campus (made some touchpoints on the library and they are interested in contacting and setting up workshops or learning more about what we can provide to help them).

2 comments:

Chandra said...

All learning aside, it was just plain fun to hang around with Sara and Beth! The faculty members tended to sit by campus unless forced to mingle, but the three of us librarians often sat together instead of with our faculty members. See? Librarians bucking the trends again!

Beth said...

I had fun being with you two as well, I agree with Sara about the millieum student presentation, but did think the discussion of technology use was valuable. I also enjoyed the across program teaching collaboration discussion and exercise, I hope we will use this notion in future quarters.