Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Contest participation question

Last month I did a crossword puzzle for Physical Fitness and Sports Month. This month I am doing a picture quiz for GLBT Book Month. Last month the prizes were target gift cards and this month it is Borders. Last month I had five people turn in finished crosswords. One of them wasn't a student here, so it didn't count. So far this month, I have had three quizzes turned in. I have signs on the bulletin boards, tabletops in the library; it's in the student newsletter, on the monitors in the halls, and on the inside of the bathroom doors.

So, for those of you who do contests, how do you get students to participate?

4 comments:

Amy Springer said...

It's really hit and miss for me to get participation in contests. I have had the most success with emailing trivia and getting emailed results. Students barely do anything that I offer in paper format.

Jan said...

I know that must be frustrating. Is it a timing issue? Does the board stay up all month? Is the board location a problem? Maybe just ask students if they know about it, and if they do why they didn't participate?

Emily said...

I am surprised that you got someone to complete the puzzle who wasn't a student.

Dan said...

Announce during workshops, have faculty tell classes, or send a workstudy around as messenger.