Monday, October 13, 2008

Working with faculty

Emily asked that I post and let all of you know about a success I have had in working with faculty. Our full time Massage instructor, Tilley, has wanted more materials in the library... I have added over $3000 to the collection within the last year and the collection now takes up to two full shelves. One night Mary was talking with Tilley and telling her that we need to get our circulation stats up. That night Tilley brought her class in and told them that they all needed to check out a massage book. Just recently Tilley sent me an email and told me to look at her new assignment she created for her Intro to Massage class. Here is what is being required:
Book Review Assignment
This weekly assignment is to familiarize you with books within our library system so you may better understand the massage therapy profession and its many modalities.

The last statistic I read on bodywork modalities is that there are 250 different techniques for the public to choose from. Rasmussen’s library doesn’t (unfortunately) have books on all 250 different techniques; however there is a nice selection.

Tilley would like to see more materials coming in for her students and we are hoping that the circuluation will go up. This will also give the students practice with APA style as this is a requirement for any class students will take with Tilley.

2 comments:

Amy Springer said...

That is really great, Lisa! I should try to set that up with our instructors. It seems like it'd be really convenient for a program like Massage.

I think it might also be appropriate for Digital Design classes.

Chandra said...

Lisa, I'm glad you've found a library advocate from within your faculty. I want to find a way to make my faculty more aware of what we have in the library, and you've given me a great lead to follow.