Friday, October 31, 2008

Are You Where You Want To Be Professionally (from ACRLog)

I thought this post from ACRLog might be of interest as it relates to professional development-

It’s a thought that probably comes to every librarian at some point in their career. Professionally, am I where I’m supposed to be at this point in my life? Should someone my age be further along? Should I be an administrator by now? Should I have a bigger reputation in the field? And the ultimate question, should I be making more money? And when we seek the answers to these questions we often have no choice but to compare ourselves to others, whether it be a colleague down the hall, that blogger being profiled in the Chronicle, or folks who graduated in your MLS class. We seem to have the tendency to judge ourselves against the A listers rather than the mass majority of library professionals who are in all likelihood doing about the same as we are. It’s a harsh mirror into which we gaze. It’s hardly unique to librarians.
Rest of the post is at: http://acrlog.org/2007/12/05/are-you-where-you-want-to-be-professionally/

No comments: