Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Overdue/lost Matierals

I'd like to get a general idea of how everyone handles their overdues, esp. for students that have either dropped, graduated, or are on "hold". I've never been sure how to handle these situations; in the past I've brought all of my paperwork to our Student Accounts Manager, but I'm not sure if she knew what to do either. Also, if you do bring the bills, etc. to the SAM, does yours ever follow through and tell you if the student has paid or reimburse the library in any way? Right now we have a new SAM at the EP campus, and I'd really like to get this figured out on the "library end" before handing it over to her. The less confusion the better! Thanks!

6 comments:

Amy Springer said...

When a student has dropped out, I will just print off a web bookstore cost of a replacement copy of the book, and I attach it with the Aleph overdue notice, and I give it to our Students Accounts. They bill the student.

Sara said...

I send a 30 day notice letter to the individual (after which a bunch of the overdues tend to come back:-). For the ones that don't, they get billed at the end of 30 days (the date is listed in the letter they get). It is then put on as a 'library hold' on their CLASS account. They don't get their diplomas, transcripts, etc., unless they either return the items or pay for them. I had someone return 3 books that they had had for nearly 3 years when they came back for a transcript and were asking why they couldn't get it. (the system really does work!). I have copies of the letter (single and plural), as well as a spread sheet I keep for the year to keep track of when the letter gets sent,what gets returned, what doesn't, and when the billing occurs, the $, and any notes), and the billing sheet that goes to the office so they can enter it into CLASS. Let me know if you want to see them, or if Emily wants to post them to the chipsnet after she's seen and approved them for system use. (might need tweaking for other campuses).

Chandra said...

What a great question! I'm looking forward to learning great ideas from teammates. Only once in a while do I even get a list of who has dropped out.

KarenE said...

Thanks for the information. FINALLY getting around to overdues. The Student Accounts manager doesn't start until sometime in April, but I'm keeping track of everyone who has overdues.

LisaS said...

I am so glad someone asked that question! We have sent out two overdue letters and were not sure what to do next. I was going to find out what Heather did by asking around over break. Sara, I really like the way you handle it. Your system is very similiar to the one that I had used previously.

Emily said...

Sara, please send them to me.