Monday, March 31, 2008

Quiet Zone

We've increasingly had some issues about people being disrespectful in the library. I first put up the signs about being respectful (ie. courteous, quiet, etc.) in February. I sent out to the team what happened:


It is getting a bit busier in the library here (YIPPEE!) and we have had many phone calls, loud conversations, etc. as of late. I edited the poster with a different color scheme and put up a few of the posters around the library.

There were 2 students in the library when I put them up, one of whom does all of the above. Both saw me put the posters around, yet the one student continued as per usual. After she hung up her cell phone after about 30 minutes of talking, I highlighted the new poster explaining the new policy. Her response? “Nice colors!”

Oh my stars …. Patience please!


The posters didn't solve the problem. Students started complaining specific occurrences of rude students.

After conversations with both Pam (Academic Dean) and Scott (Campus Director), I got the go-ahead to create a Quiet Zone in the library during finals week. I created a new poster and posted it everywhere, advertised it in the student newsletter, and closed the door (after unlocking it so students could get in).


Despite some reservations from the admissions staff, everyone was supportive and it worked very well. Students were able to study in the library without the "threat" of others taking over the small space.

I thanked the staff profusely for this experiment and will probably create this Quiet Zone every finals week.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

At more than one session I attended at the IACRL conference last week, it was stressed that students are looking for quiet places to study in the library. However, they also have a need for group study space. Our one room libraries can't be both. So how do we create both spaces for our students? The "quiet zone" for finals week is a good idea, but what do we do the rest of the quarter?

Chandra said...

Our Mentor Center/Student Services area is right across the hall and has computers and round tables. When I see a study group forming, I ask them to move to the other room. It worked only once.

Amy Springer said...

GREAT sign. I would love to do this at Eagan, but I know it would never fly.

Emily said...

One idea would be to designate a few periods during the quarter that are "Groupies Hour" - or something else far more clever - designed to bring group work into the library in a fun but academically motivated environment. You could offer food/drink and make changes to your space (as needed) to accommodate groups of 3 or more folks. So you could say - Tuesday night is groupie night - or something like that. This works better (probably) for the library that shares space with the Mentor Center.