Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Interview Thyself!

This week, I've worked on preparing interview questions for the final three candidates for the Aurora campus librarian position. We've whittled down from approximately 70 candidates, to date (and they keep on coming).

What struck me about these questions is that I'm not sure how I'd answer some of them. Now, I am by no means preparing to leave my current role, but I think that it's important to take a step back and gain some professional perspective. It may also help you sort of re-focus on your work and gain back some energy toward a job that can become stressful at this time of the quarter.

Please look through the questions. You can answer them in the blog, if you want; or, you can simply think over the answers to yourself. I'd be interested in knowing if any of them inspired you to change your work habits, short term or long term goals.

1. What do you see as the value of belonging to a professional organization?
2. Do you like working with people?
3. Where do you expect to be professionally in five years?
4. If we asked your present supervisor what your strengths are, what would he/she say?
5. What did you do to prepare for this interview?
6. What would you do if you overheard a staff or faculty member providing inaccurate information about the library?
7. What type of management style do you prefer?
8. Give an example of an incident of teamwork you performed in a former job, your role on that team, and what you would change now, given the opportunity.
9. After you have eliminated the backlog, how do you see this job challenging you? What will motivate you to come to work?
10. What have you read lately, and what are you reading now?
11. You have an expansive book order planned, and then you are told that your budget has been cut. How would you manage such a situation?
12. Are you a person who likes to “try new things” or “stay with regular routines”? Give an example.
13. What do you hope to leave as your professional legacy?

2 comments:

Amy Springer said...

Those are great questions, Emily. It would probably be really fun to read some of the answers from the candidates.

LisaS said...

I like question 12! Is is okay to have a routine? Yes but only if you are flexible enough to change it when it does not work anymore. This was one piece of advice that I took from a principal as I was settling into my first job. He wanted to make sure that even though I had to write my own curriculum that I would make sure to change it when the kids did. After that I spent at least 3 weeks every summer looking at my curriculum and deciding where I needed to make changes for the better of the kids and myself.