Friday, September 26, 2008

Successful admin rep workshop

I had been prepared to show the Admission Reps the library introduction I use during student orientation. There are a few 'high-maintenance" reps who simply are too stubborn to use any of my previous suggestions, and in the spirit that repetition makes a consistent pattern, I was going to share with them how I introduce the library resources.

Of course, the ones that tend to be the "high-maintenance" reps were not there. I had only 4 of the 9 present, so I had them log onto the student portal and I took them through a 20 minute library session, and it was fantastic.

We went through the library website. I pointed out the meebo online reference box. We looked at the catalog, the ebooks, the journal article databases our students need to use. We looked at the APA citation help and showed them where they can see for themselves how papers need to be written look like. I showed them and encouraged them to log onto NoodleBib so they can experience the wonder that is NoodleBib.

It went really well. The 4 that were present are fantastic reps, and they do their job really well. They seemed to appreciate me going through the library website and its resources with them, and it has given me some ideas as to how we can follow up on this!

:)

4 comments:

Amy Springer said...

Great! I did this a few months ago.. but the Admission team changes so frequently. I need to do it again soon.

Chandra said...

I did a similar session quite a few months ago. It must have made a good impression because now when new reps are hired, the DOA sends them to me to set up a time for their own library orientation.

KarenE said...

It really seems to be something that we need to constantly encourage repeat often! :)

LisaS said...

I was asked to WOW the admission reps last month with library facts. Not all showed, especially the ones I wanted to reach. The reps came up with some ideas as to how to make the library more appealing to our students and they learned how to access resources. We have a few that went home and showed their family!