Monday, September 08, 2008

Mosby's Dictionary: New Edition

I received a flyer today that Mosby's Dictionary is in a new edition. According to the flyer, new features include: 5,000 new definitions; thumb tabs, entry words in color; new lab test and surgical procedure definitions; 50 complementary and alternative medical therapies; and over 200 new drug entries.

The ISBN is 9780323049375.

Should we purchase an eBook, as well as having the print version available in our libraries? This is an essential reference for our Allied Health & Nursing students.

One of the nicer features appears to be the companion Evolve website, with 35,000 audio pronunciations; a printable English-Spanish phrase book; 400 interactive medical terminology review exercises, and more. You can see complete information about the text at http://MosbyDictionary.elsevier.com.

Mosby's Dictionary Online will be available in the Spring. It will act like a database, rather than an eBook.

I think that I should just purchase a copy for every library - but I am interested in your thoughts.

6 comments:

Chandra said...

If I heard correctly in a webinar for Nursing Reference Center, that database contains Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary. Although that's good news, I'm not sure students will like having to get into the database first just to use the dictionary. Maybe having the new Mosby's electronically is a good idea. Print copies are essential.

Beth said...

I agree with Chandra, I will include this on my reference B&T list for fall. I do think it would be useful in an electronic version as well.

Amy Springer said...

I think purchasing an ebook would be a wise decision.

Anonymous said...

I think a combo of print and electronic versions is a good idea.

LisaS said...

Don't we get Mosby's in Credo? If so then we I guess we will need the new print copy. I just checked the shelves and mine is gone.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!