Monday, November 03, 2008

Delighting the Customer: It's the Little things that Count

Happy Monday, everyone. As we slide into Week 5, just a week away from our Annual Team meeting, I wanted to take this opportunity to focus (myself) on customer service.

I'm a big fan of the Tom Peters Weblog. He provides small nuggets of inspiration each day to my Google Reader, and when collected with the other 200 or so feeds that I receive in a day, make a fine bit of meditation reading. Today's gem was about customer service:

"As I said, now, more than ever. I suggest, for example, that you devote most of your "morning meeting" or "weekly phone call" to the "little" things—from clean restrooms to deliveries made or missed to thank-you calls to a customer for her business after an order ships.

Keep on each other over those basics—and be liberal with the kudos for those who go an extra millimeter to do a "trivial" job especially well."


The basics are incredibly important. Let's look at it from the perspective of a customer. Do you get easily frustrated or disappointed when someone is late for a meeting or misses a call with you? What if they don't show up for the meeting at all, even though they'd already said they'd come? Have you waited on an e-mail for weeks without response?

Have you ever visited a library and been upset because the thing you wanted was in the wrong location? Or, gone to a store that was a mess? Does uncleanliness, poor service, or disorganization stress you out?

Now, turn a critical eye to your own services and practices. Do you return calls and respond to e-mails within a 24 hour period (this is not only good business practice, it's also our service policy to students). Do you respond in this time frame JUST to students? Remember that your fellow librarians, as well as staff, faculty, and community members are your customers, too.

How does your library look today? Is scratch paper available for folks to take notes? Are the printer trays full of paper? Are chairs neatly pushed in and trash off of the floors and tables? Have you dusted lately? Are your books neatly organized or do they look hap-hazard?

Turn a critical eye to your desk. If a patron asked you for a form, a pencil, a business card, or a handout, could you immediately pick it up and hand it to them?

Do you turn in your reports on time? Remember that the people who ask for the reports aren't just collecting them for fun; the data is used for assessment and meeting additional deadlines/responsibilities. Do you attend calls and meetings on time, and take good notes?

Do you smile to patrons and welcome them to the library as they walk in? Do you say goodbye as they leave? How do you answer the phone? Are your e-mails courteous or do you merely answer the questions asked as briefly as possible?


I'm not saying that I'm perfect in any of these areas: in fact, I've caught myself not paying attention to these basics many times over the past few days, which prompted this post.

What other basics do we need to follow to delight our customers?

-Emily

3 comments:

Libby said...

Academic libraries seem to sometimes make certain students nervous, especially if English is not their first language. I try to be cognizant of this and reassure them that there is nothing to be nervous about. I know I have succeeded when they start to become regular patrons.

KarenE said...

Those little added-value services we provide are so important to make our students feel welcome. I have not always been known for having a clean desk. My library desk has a few piles on it. (Of course, I know where to find everything ;) ). I hope to be better about the impressions people have about our campus' library. I think that too has a big impression customer service as well.

LisaS said...

When we moved to the new campus, I announced that I would not take the posters that hung in the old library. There was some joking over this but I wanted our patrons to feel like they were in a college library and not a high school library. Input from the students was bravo or jeez now you decide when I am going to graduate. I check the library over right away in the morning, around lunch and sometime in the afternoon. The one thing I forget to check it the stapler. I have to get better about that. I also think that we could use another hole puncher. The one on my desk gets used quite a bit. Anyways I totally agree with these statements first impressions happen within seconds.