Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My workshop story

As some of you may know, I have a business instructor who I call the "Passionate Professor." He brings his classes to the library on field trips and has workshops for every single class. Today I had my fourth workshop for him. I decided it was time to change things up since many of the students had been in other workshops with me this week. There were only 7 students in the class. I went in and passed out note cards. I asked the students to write down what they wanted to get out of the workshop. I told them if they didn't list anything that we would go back to the same old PowerPoint. So everyone listed things except for one student who couldn't come up with anything. She said she knew enough and that she used Noodlebib all the time. So, I invited her to teach Noodlebib at the end of the workshop. She was open to it and it was great! Afterwards, I used Dennis' idea of the half sheet response. All of the responses were positive and everyone said that they had no unanswered questions. One student wrote, "If I have questions, I'll just go see Cynthia in the library." After the workshop, many of the students remained in the lab working on their research and I was able to stay for awhile to help.

2 comments:

Chandra said...

That's awesome! I've often thought of having a student who laments the repetition actually do part of the instruction or demonstration.

I'm impressed by your comfort with building or finetuning your workshop on the spot.

Amy Springer said...

Great!