Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Using movie reviews to teach students how to evalutate websites


I used one of the assessment ideas that was discussed at our team meeting. I had students do this assessment in Success Strategies.

It was a great success. I picked out 2 websites about the death penalty. One is a blog with an anonymous author that calls himself "The Exterminator." The other site is a government site with statistics about capital punishment. I explained the Who, What, When, Where, and Whys of evaluating websites, and most students did a great job deciphering if the websites were credible. See below. Notice the stars :). After the students completed the evaluating exercise, I had the students enter these websites into Noodlebib and print out a reference page.

I am going to load this document into Google Docs.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I used your worksheet last week for one of my workshops, and it went great! It was easier to discuss why some websites are better than others when the students had examples in front of them. Thanks for the great idea!

Amy Springer said...

Great! I am glad you had success.

LisaS said...

I wonder if the worksheet format could be used for workshops? Hmmm...I will try it and let you know next quarter.

LisaS said...

I wonder if the worksheet format could be used for workshops? Hmmm...I will try it and let you know next quarter.