Monday, December 29, 2008

What makes it all worthwhile

This was a really tough quarter at Rockford. I didn't have time to get all the things done that needed to be done. Anytime I actually had time on my calendar something would come up and my time would be gone.

Anyway, what made it all worthwhile was the feedback I got from students, though not through Survey Monkey (see earlier post). It all started with the winner of Matt's Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad....Business World game. Matt did a short interview with Damon Thomas and here is the relevant part:

Gargano: “Do you have a favorite staff member?”

Thomas: Yes. Cynthia Reynolds because she’s always happy and always greets people with a smile. She makes me feel comfortable.”

During the last week of classes, another student came by to thank me for all the help I had given her and a classmate. She said that she wouldn't have gotten her paper done without my help. Two students asked me to come to their business class while they did their presentations. I had a voicemail waiting for me when I arrived the other day from another student. He wanted to thank me for listening and understanding and to share the grades he was getting. While I was composing this post, a student came by to thank me for all of the help I had given her with her computer class. (And I repel technology!) So, at the end of the day, this is what makes my job meaningful and why I look forward to coming to work.

6 comments:

Emily said...

You're a great librarian, and you deserve every ounce of credit that you receive. You all do.

Chandra said...

That's great, Cynthia! For every person who expressed their appreciation, there are many, many more who are too shy to express it!

Sara said...

It's the little things like that that really make you feel like you've made a difference in someone's life (even if you didn't know it at the time):-)

Jan said...

I know what you mean about grand ideas not coming to fruition, but sometimes the day to day things are what truly mean the most!
Way to go...:)

LisaS said...

Keep those thank you's locked away for a day when you are going crazy because you can't get anything done. It will help you remember why you are doing this job.

Keep up the GREAT job!!

Libby said...

You sure are right about the feeling we get from feedback from students, Cynthia. I felt it especially when I received Christmas cards from some of them. One of my Foundations of English II students thanked me profusely for helping her in class and also quite often in the library. She passed with a D+ and I am so proud of her because she is about 18 but did not learn English until age 13.