Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Categorizing Grid CAT

Last week I did a workshop for Intro to Criminal Justice. Since the majority of the class was first quarter students, the instructor asked for an overview of the library resources. When he saw the PowerPoint for using the library for great research, he decided to go with that. For assessment with the Intro to Library Resources workshops I had been using a questionnaire based on the one that Amy created. I wanted to try something different this time, so I did the Categorizing Grid, where students had to put the terms under the proper category. It was a simple assessment that didn't take much time to create or implement, and only a few of the students got a couple of the terms mixed up.

3 comments:

Kate Bessey said...

Nice idea! I suppose it really forces students to pay attention and ask a lot of questions. Did the instructor give it a point value, or was it more for their own use?

Cynthia said...

It was for their own use. I checked their answers and let them take it with. It also has the survey link. I am happy to say that 1/2 of the class actually filled out the surveys. I have not had a great amount of success with that.

Amy Springer said...

Cool! I somehow missed this post. I like this idea a lot.