Monday, January 05, 2009

Collaboration (CD/Assignments) with Faculty

I thought I would share a recent collaboration, of sorts, that developed with one of our instructors. After adding a significant batch of new materials to the collection, I email the list of titles to the faculty, AD, DSL, and Campus Director. This is also a good project for a student assistant- to type up the title list from invoices, and send to you. Rarely, do I hear any feedback from the faculty, but they are kept in the loop as to what has been added to the collection. At the end of last quarter, one of our Allied Health instructors came by to tell me she had noticed a title on the list, looked at it, loved it, and was going to develop an assignment requiring students actually use the set of books! I spoke with her today, and she has incorporated this assignment into her syllabus for this quarter. ...In addition, the list helped with a prior accreditation list in that the CD rec'd a question, remembered that I send out the list, and since I save them was able to show an example.

3 comments:

Jan said...

I think that it is so important as an instructor to understand what resources are available to the students before you create the assignment. :)

Great job of sharing information Hilary.

Beth said...

This is a great, idea. I had thought of having my work study type in the invoice lists, but had forgotten until you mentioned it again. Good project, I did meet with faculty last Friday and brought a number of new titles for them to look at and discussed having the students utilize our print collection more, -my "challenge" for the quarter.

LisaS said...

Isn't it great when you click with and instructor? It always seems to be the icebreaker into a great relationship.