Friday, January 02, 2009

A Process, Not an Event

Sometimes it's hard to tell if library circulation is increasing. Sure, there are the rush weeks when papers are due. But other than that, it's sometimes hard to tell if all that spending and cataloging have had any effect. Well, in the 2.75 years since we put shelves and books in our campus library, growth in item circulation has been more of a process than an event. I didn't see the growth happen, but it did!

  • 2006, 92 items checked out (3 quarters)
  • 2007, 268 items checked out
  • 2008, 612 items checked out

Pretty good for a campus with fewer than 500 students (many of whom live outside of the area) and about 1100 items!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

This is great, Chandra! I am always looking for ways to get the faculty to participate in ordering. I usually contact instructors when items they order have come in. They like to hear it and it lets them know that I am actually ordering what they recommend. I think if I send out this kind of email with the recommendation form attached it will also help.