Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Captive Audience for Open Workshop

Last quarter, I had 14 students attend one of my open workshops. Hurray! The back story? It was in Week 9, and was on resumes and cover letters (now Fort Myers has a mentor center coordinator who will handle these in the future). But per the terrific suggestion of Tara, our dean, I held that workshop in the lunchroom during lunch break!

At least 20 people were actually coming and going, but it was easy to get the 14 students to take a look at my "portable resume workshop info." I didn't even need a laptop; just had lots of copies of things like template ideas, lists of active verbs, pathway info, etc., that I handed out.

(I caught everyone's attention initially by displaying that funny poster from Ras Career Services. It shows an appropriately dressed job interviewee and her "clean" resume, contrasting with a picture of her slacker alter ego and a resume that potential employers would immediately put in a circular file.)

No comments: