Thursday, February 19, 2009

Circ Stats!

I had a great idea the other day for keeping those circulation stats up. I often bring in print resources with me to workshops for students to check out, especially for classes that are writing papers on the same topic. However, since most classes write papers in their field, this is not always possible.

Last week, for my Success Strategies workshops, I had each student complete a self-checkout form to get comfortable with the idea, and then the instructor had them complete a worksheet about that particular source. So each student left with at least one book! At the next workshop for Success Strategies, I taught how to use the online catalog, and each student's "assignment" was to order an interlibrary loan on something in their field. Now, each student is comfortable checking out books, ordering ILL, they each have at least two resources for their research paper, AND my stats went up!

3 comments:

Chandra said...

That's a great idea! It's so simple to do but highly effective. I may try that next quarter.

Amy Springer said...

COOL!

Beth said...

Wonderful idea, I have a mid-quarter start Success Strat. I'll try that with. I think comfort level and familarity are important for our students.