Thursday, February 12, 2009

Evaluating websites exercise

I just gave my "Clean Off Your Google Goggles" Workshop for the 3rd time. This time was very successful. I presented the workshop, and then I had the students complete the exercise that is shown above. I think it really helped the students have an understanding of the quality of resources they will receive with using different search engines.

In this workshop, I also introduced how to search for only government websites in Google. This feature is at www.google.com/unclesam. This website will definitely be useful to our Criminal Justice students.


A Search for the "death penalty" is shown below. The students were able to see the quality of results were better than searching for the death penalty under the normal google.com platform.

** Sorry for cross posting. I also put this blog post on my personal/professional blog.

4 comments:

Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

Your masterful branding is really commendable, "Clean off your Google Goggles" is a great title. Didn't you come up with APizzA too?

Fantastic way to market your presentation. Personally, this is my favorite workshop to present, and I'm finding new ideas all the time. Do you have the class complete the quiz individually or in coordination with classmates?

Amy Springer said...

They worked on the "exercise" individually. The students did a great job, and I think they learned a lot from it. I think I even got 1 student to set up some Google Alerts.

After all of the students were finished with the exercise, we went through the answers/observations together.

The Collective said...
This comment has been removed by the author.