Monday, March 30, 2009

Hounding the faculty

I'm an old newshound from way back, which is why I pitched Rasmussen's terrific MLT program to a TV reporter at our county library system's recent reading festival. But I also have been partaking in another kind of hounding recently -- getting the faculty to give me ideas for ordering! I had good luck this past order deadline, with 10 instructors submitting requests.

How did I do it? Lots of emails on a regular basis, with the RCLWeb info attached. Also, I buttonholed faculty members if I saw them during their office hours, at our Saturday finals study session, and even in the halls or of course in the library. Persistence paid off, and I already have the start of a new list for my next order.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great, Libby! I have been taking a similar approach- catching them in the Faculty Lounge before class, on break, etc. I find for most of the instructors here, in person works better; I send them fewer emails in the hopes that they will read them when I do :-)
Occasionally, I'll send out Choice lists for their respective subject areas w/the form attached.

Libby said...

Really good idea, Hilary, about Choice lists and the form. Thanks!