Thursday, March 05, 2009

Supporting online instructors

For the last two quarters, I've been exchanging e-mails with an online English Comp instructor who has a class of Bismarck students. Although she initially contacted me (interim dean) regarding concerns with student work, it's been a great opportunity for me (librarian) to support an online instructor.

I realize I was in a unique situation while in my dean/librarian role in that I could easily refer an online instructor to the librarian. However, I'm sure deans or Student Success Coordinators would be happy to recommend you to online instructors when students are struggling with sources and information literacy.

The online instructors I've "met" lets me know which Bismarck students are struggling with finding resources or citing sources. If they live in the area, she directs them to me or I seek them out. I've had a couple come in for help. Last quarter, we even set up a designated day/time for her online students to come to the campus library to meet each other and to get help. (No takers.)

Today I got another e-mail from the instructor, and I think it underscores the support we as librarians can provide for our online instructors. It also made my day. Here's an excerpt...

"Personally, I do not think I would still be doing this if I had not run into you. I have tried to contact different people...but I have had less than helpful responses or no response. I guess I do not like working in a vacuum...I have taught for 30 years, but I find that online teaching presents its own very special challenges."

5 comments:

KarenE said...

Chandra,

You really have been in a good position to do this. I know that here in GB, students in the area are being put into online classes together.

My intention for next quarter is to contact both online & in house instructors.

Anonymous said...

That's great Chandra. I've had some success with the online instructors in the Business program. Kathy has made a point of including Jan and I on the faculty conference calls, and asked us to "present" on what's available for the program and we have stressed that that we are here to help - them and their students. I had quite a few online instructors email me last quarter for database recommendations, help with locating case studies or articles, etc. It has been a positive experience, great feedback, and I would hope that other instructors are encouraged to contact their liaisons.

Chandra said...

Hilary, You and Jan do a great job on the Business calls. I'm glad you've had such great connections in your liaison area. That's a good reminder for me to contact the faculty in my liaison area and to solicit an invitation to th MLT faculty calls.

Amy Springer said...

I usually don't get email responses from faculty that are teaching online. One thing that I'd like to do is create announcements that online instructors can use. I can just give them the codes that I pre-make with images and APA or library content.

Jan said...

I think all of our responses illustrate that collaborating and coordinating with faculty (residential and online) often come from unexpected opportunities that present themselves to us. We as librarians are like information literacy itself. Finding different ways to connect with instructors and the classroom creates unique experiences to incorporate us and IL into the class content, and no two opportunities are quite the same. Guess that is lifelong learning. :)