Monday, January 28, 2008

Collection Development - Faculty Collaboration

Hi everybody!

I had an idea today and was wondering if any of you do this and if so, has it worked out...

In CHOICE (cro2.org), you can of course look for titles on a given subject/program area. You can then 'select all' and email yourself the list. I did this today for business titles I wanted to come back to w/o having to re-do the search. So, what I was thinking was we could send these program-specific lists to the advocates and/or faculty on our campuses to (hopefully) get more feedback. Maybe this will work better than just saying 'I need recommendations' or filling their mailboxes with catalogs that sometimes get lost. Don't get me wrong, I still like publisher catalogs! I also thought it might streamline the process to send a copy of the Recommendation Form with the list of titles/reviews. Not that it is that difficult to get a form off of CHIPSnet... :-) And of course, there are the lists from RCL and B&T we could send out as well.

So, what do you think? I'm thinking of starting this on my campus.

And while I'm picking your brains... would this maybe be a good poster session topic??

Thanks!

3 comments:

Chandra said...

I like your idea. I think faculty members get a little overwhelmed by all the options, so they'd probably appreciate having such a list as a starting point. Plus, you make a good point about being able to revisit the list without having to redo the research.

I held a faculty professional development sessions two weeks ago. We went through RCLweb and Book Index with Reviews. I also passed out the catalogs I've had in the teachers' loung for two months. By the time the session was over, I had quite a few recommendations for materials.

Sara said...

Love the idea. I remember a professor at my undergrad would get a stack of slips of titles, go through, toss the ones they didn't want, and initial and turn in the rest to be purchased. So easy! And this is even easier than that!:-)

Unknown said...

Profitez de votre eau, profiter de votre vie. Nous offrant toutes sortes de salle de bains Robinetterie Vasque et robinets de cuisine pour vous. Consultez notre boutique en ligne et de trouver votre meilleur robinet ici: robinets LED