Monday, January 14, 2008

Librarians at for-profit schools

I found a short article in The Chronicle of Higher Education this morning to be interesting:

http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/article/2661/librarians-at-for-profit-institutions-seek-to-be-heard?utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

As far I as I know, in St. Cloud, we've always been part of our local consortium (Central Minnesota Libraries Exchange) and have been able to buy from any vendor (why would you want to completely cut out a customer?). Has anyone had problems with these issues because of our status?

2 comments:

Amy Springer said...

WOW. That makes me sad... I had no idea that JSTOR doesn't sell to for-profit colleges.. I find this hard to believe. Why would they care? Wouldn't they want more $?

Kate Bessey said...

I didn't know that either. I thought it was just too expensive!