Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Crying babies and social hour

I realize that this is not our grandmas' library and I don't have a problem with students talking in the library, but some students actually use the library to study and write papers. There have been complaints to the Dean in the past about noise in the library. In the last two days, there have been some issues. For instance, yesterday a young woman was in to get help from a tutor for her online class. She brought her two-year old child with her. She brought nothing for the child to do, so one of the tutors went to the admissions office to get coloring book and crayons. After the child had colored some, she decided that she might like to color on the equipment. The tutor ended up having to take care of the child, too. Then the little one proceeded to throw a fit - thrashing around on the floor crying and screaming. At that time there were no other students in the library. Ron, the Mentor Center Coordinator who shares the library with me, had to leave to go find a phone elsewhere to make a call. Mom kept saying they were going to leave and they finally did. Then this morning, I was in a webinar for Aleph and there were a group of students socializing and getting rather loud. I said that I hoped no one was trying to study.



Anyone else have any issues and how do you handle them?

5 comments:

Amy Springer said...

eeek!

Amy Springer said...

I should probably write more than just "eeek!"

My library is REALLY loud. People bring in their kids daily. Our admission reps are also really loud. Sometimes I want to crawl under my desk, cover my ears, and repeat "make it stop.. make it stop."

I have just come to accept that my library will never be quiet. I have hung up signs about cell phones, and children, but no one obeys my signage

Kate Bessey said...

I have decided that I GREATLY dislike dealing with noise and misbehavior in the library. In the past I have typically ignored it unless it got out of hand. But, there is something to be said for a quiet library, and I think that's what some students are looking for. I have attempted to start "shushing" students; sometimes it's successful and sometimes it isn't. Also, if you tend to get along w/ your students and talk w/ them frequently be prepared for them to laugh, joke, or otherwise mock you (all in fun, of course) when you ask them to be quiet. The joys of being a shushing librarian.

One idea: I was thinking of playing classical music to inspire students to be a bit more quiet and studious. Has anyone else tried that? I'm sure I'd get a few jabs from students for that too...

KarenE said...

I too use music lightly in the background. I use Accuradio ( http://www.accuradio.com/ ) to find everything from light holiday music to classical to reggae (which I play on days like today when it is cold, snowy and windy)!

Sara said...

I wish we could do background music; the ESC (Educational Support Center aka Mentor center)has a radio playing music softly most of the time. I have had students be upset about that and come to the library--then they don't like that someone is even talking to one another (loud whispers); they want to hear a pin drop!!! It's too loud for them otherwise. I've told students to 'turn down their volume' when they get loud--and I have had to ask people to take their cell phone to the hallway. Kids aren't always here--the range is from no problem to crazed and climbing shelves (had to yell at one for that; I was terrified that the shelf would come down (magazine shelf isn't as solid as the regular book shelves). I've had students complain to me that it was loud or noisy, rude students--unfortutantly, it was after I was done with work and there wasn't a librarian on duty....