Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Few Meebo Tidbits

I was sent an e-mail with the following questions and I wanted to share the answers with the group as I suspect the librarian who sent the questions is not the only one to have them. I know I had them for a while myself.

Why does it say I am signed in to AIM twice and I have to hit '1' to end the session?

I don't necessarily know the answer for this but I can take a guess. When you exit a session by simply closing the browser, you are automatically signed out of most of the accounts. I suspect the one you are not signed out of is AIM. Therefore, if the person who was covering Meebo prior to you getting on simply closed the browser instead of signing off first, AOL considers AIM still in session. Go ahead and hit '1' to end the session.

Also, I don't believe two people can be signed into the same Meebo account at the same time. Once someone else signs on, another person will get kicked off. I'm not sure if there is a system set in place yet but it might be a good idea to Contact the librarian via Meebo to see if it's okay to sign in so you're not disrupting a session with a student.

Should I talk to the meeboguests that appear in my buddy list?

Not unless you want to scare some random user of the library. :)

Each meeboguest represents an open widget. For instance, every time someone is on the main library page, a unique widget session opens for that user. So if five people are on that main library page, then five widget sessions are available and five meeboguests appear in your buddy list.

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could greet them. Otherwise, unless they're actually sending you a message, they're not expecting any response from you.

6 comments:

Amy Springer said...

Also, I have found that if a student posts a question, and I don't get to it immediately, they give up and move on. So, you really have to be on the ball, watching Meebo.

Cynthia said...

Another issue I have is that my computer doesn't signal me by sound that someone is using Meebo. I have the sound turned all the way up, it just doesn't work. So, I make sure I am doing work at my desk where I can easily monitor the screen.

Beth said...

My computer isn't signaling me either, I did a test, sending myself a question, my volume is functioning-I heard a webinar two days ago, any thoughts.

KJJ said...

The sound works for me. Have you checked the preferences when you sign on? Maybe each individual needs to reset the preferences for each computer where Meebo is used. I thought they'd carry over no matter where someone logs in but maybe they don't.

When you sign into Meebo, look at the top left of the page under the Meebo Logo. There is a horizontal menu and at the far right of the menu, next to the help link, there is the sound icon. Make sure there isn't an "X" next to it. That would mean the sound is muted.

To make sure the sound is on, go to "Preferences" on the left hand side between the "Accounts" link and "Meebo Me Widgets" link. Make sure the "make a sound" buttons are checked.

Let me know if that solves the issue.

KarenE said...

A random thought when someone wants to ask a question...is there someway that we can do an automatic response to any and all messages with something like

"Hello! Your RCLS librarian is online and will be with you shortly. Remember you can also email your question to ...( our general librarian at rasmussen dot edu email) "

That may be of assistance to patrons.

KJJ said...

Have the sound issues been resolved?

Karen:

A random thought when someone wants to ask a question...is there someway that we can do an automatic response to any and all messages with something like:

You can set a customized "away" message that says you'll get to everyone's questions as soon as possible. That will appear in the chat screen of the widget at all times. The only problem with it is that it will say "Away" in addition to whatever message you have on the screen. Students might be discouraged at seeing an "away" message even if your message is more vague about your status.

To set the away message, click on the smiley face above the buddy list (you should get a balloon saying that you're available.) A list of possible away messages will appear. If you click on custom, it will let you type in an away message that will appear on all widgets.

~Krista