Friday, February 22, 2008

How and When not to answer a reference question

I just finished reading the article Emily sent us. As I was reading it made me think of this week as I was helping a patron and I was feeling rushed I grabbed the mouse and began moving them to the Library Resource page. I caught myself and asked the patron to take over and told her that I wanted to make sure she could get to there by herself when she is at home. She smiled and took over.

I also apoligized to a student because he asked for help and I needed a few questions answered before I could help him. I could see on his face he just wanted an answer but I needed to know what he had already done and what was required of him for the assignment before I could direct him further.

I know that these are not examples of online help but from the training this week and the article I realized that there are many similiarities between the two.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Here is what I had this week. A student had emailed me to get the publisher and publisher location of a certain book. I emailed back and told her where she could find the information if she had the book in hand. She didn't have the book in hand and couldn't find the record in the catalog. I then told her how to go to WorldCat and find the information so that she would be able to do it herself in the future and I asked her to let me know if that worked for her. She emailed me back to let me know that she did find the information on WorldCat and that she also stumbled on how to cite it APA style. It was nice to get the positive feedback.