Monday, July 21, 2008

RSS for Faculty

Good Morning:

Several of you have mentioned interest in giving a professional development workshop for faculty about using RSS feeds in the classroom. I think that this is a great idea - a little out of the library norm (which is good), and probably very useful for most of our (and especially our tech savvy) faculty.

As an aside, if you weren't planning to give this kind of presentation, it's something for you to consider. If you aren't comfortable giving it, I'm absolutely certain that you can find a faculty member or someone in your community familiar enough with RSS related to teaching that they could come in and give a presentation.

The only concern that I have is that you probably have some faculty who aren't at all familiar with RSS. I have been thinking for some time about giving a presentation on an Introduction to RSS via webinar. Do you think that some of your faculty would be interested in attending? Do you think that this would be a useful presentation prior to any presentations about RSS in the classroom?

5 comments:

KarenE said...

I'm planning on an RSS presentation for staff and faculty in a few months myself. For our campus, however, I can say our faculty (small as it is) wouldn't attend a webinar.

Unknown said...

Great post and great idea. I'd suggest the following video as a must for training: http://commoncraft.com/rss_plain_english

Chandra said...

I think my faculty would attend one event but not two separate ones. When I do a professional development session on using RSS feeds in the classroom, I plan to include a general introduction to RSS feeds.

Kate Bessey said...

I tend to agree with Karen and Chandra. What I will be covering with faculty is a basic introduction to RSS feeds. To be honest, I don't know that I'm comfortable going much beyond that.

Beth said...

I would interested in attending along with the faculty or have you give the librarians a brief overview that we could expand upon, I did view Mark's video suggestion, but would like to see a bit more depth.