Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Seizing the opportunity

I've always struggled with knowing the best way to introduce adjunct instructors to the physical library resources, let alone the databases and classroom workshop opportunities. A very large percentage of our instructors are adjuncts, most of whom are unable to attend professional development sessions. I think I've finally stumbled upon a good method. I talk.

The first three days of this quarter have yielded great opportunities. One adjunct instructor stopped in the library to show me vacation pictures and ended up scheduling her very first workshop. Another came in to visit and ended up checking out five books, having a database lesson on using folders for suggested read lists, and scheduling two workshops. An adjunct instructor I've barely met stopped to ask me something because the door was open, and she ended up finding DVDs she wants to show and books she wants to show to her students, and she scheduled her very first workshop.

When I was a kid, my parents teased me that I talked too much. Who would have guessed that my talkative nature would have professional benefits!

3 comments:

LisaS said...

Imagine talking and leaving your door open. The faculty and I have talked about the stereotype of librarians and we joke that I do not have a bun and that I do not look stern enough. I have thought about at the beginning of each quarter having a little welcome back but I keep running out of time or the new quarter comes so quickly.

Chandra said...

A little welcome back party is a great idea. That would be a casual, informal way to draw instructors & students into the library to see what's been added, what's on display, etc.

Beth said...

I like the idea of a welcome to the new quarter or welcome to campus type of program to reach returning and new faculty. A great way to get everyone in the library.