Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Special Projects for Interns

I am hoping to piggy-back on Cynthia’s well received post regarding interns.

In addition to the regular duties (circulation, reference interviews, collection development, workshops, cataloguing), interns will now be asked to complete one major project.

Does anyone have suggestions for what this project should be? I would relish any suggestions my fellow librarians would have.

A few ideas that have been tossed around include; Collection Marketing, Open Workshops, & making a presentation to the Librarians regarding an emerging technology.

3 comments:

Chandra said...

I love your idea of having the interns present to the rest of the librarian team about an emerging technology. Library interns are on the cutting edge of what's newest in the library world, and we can benefit from that.

Another idea would be for the intern to develop some sort of faculty development packet & presentation, whether it be regarding collection development, information literacy, or programmatic resources.

Amy Springer said...

I like the faculty development presentation idea. I wish I would have learned more about faculty collaboration in grad school.

Also, I'd like to hear programming ideas from interns.

Anonymous said...

Marketing is another area that they don't really teach in library school (at least not when I went through). Maybe a project relating to that.