Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A successful RSS workshop!

Last Friday I hosted a RSS workshop for the EP Faculty. It lasted about an hour and took the place of our Faculty Friday morning meeting.

We started with a brief introduction and explanation of RSS, which included a viewing of the Common Craft RSS video on YouTube. The viewing went successfully, and several faculty members even chuckled. I recommended that they look for Common Craft videos on other Web 2.0 topics. Next, I demonstrated my own Google RSS Reader and answered a few questions. The final segment of the workshop gave faculty members the time to set up their own Google Reader accounts. There were quite a few questions and much discussion between faculty members.

At the close of the workshop, several faculty members expressed that they were happy they attended the workshop and that they would continue exploring RSS on their own.

In the future I may consider hosting a RSS in the Classroom workshop. However, I think as most of us mentioned in a previous post, I would definately have to get more familiar with RSS on my own first.

3 comments:

Chandra said...

Kate, I'm glad to hear your workshop went so well and had such a great reception from your faculty. This Friday, I'm holding a faculty development session on blogs. I hope to do an RSS one next time. I'll steal your outline--you had great ideas.

Jan said...

That sounds great. I am going to do something similar during the next break. Thank you for describing the organization of the workshop. Hope you don't mind me borrowing your great ideas!

Amy Springer said...

Congrats on the success! That is wonderful. I made a powerpoint for how faculty can benefit from Twitter.. but I still need to make some adjustments. Also, I think Twitter might be a little too advanced for some Faculty. I need to start at an easier level with RSS feeds.