Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Admission Rep Meeting

On May 9th I did a forty minute presentation for the admission reps for Fargo and Moorhead campuses. We have had a number of new admission staff join in the last month as well as a new director of admissions. We discussed how to present both the physical library itself-their first sentence should not include,"I know this library is really small, but..." I emphasized the volume of resources available through our databases, we did a mini-database searching workshop, a presentation of our presence on the portal, I used the handout Emily prepared a few quarters ago, so they each left with something concrete. I also discussed my role and my service to students as a librarian along with our network of campus libraries and librarians. I received a lot of positive feedback during the talk and after. Tours have noticeablely improved, has anyone else presented for the admission reps?

3 comments:

Chandra said...

I did a workshop for the admissions team during Winter Quarter along the lines of what Beth did. Like she said, it made an impact on the tours. A side benefit is that it improved my relationship with the members of the admissions team. They now come to me when they're looking for information for classes they're taking, etc.

KarenE said...

I'm going in to the Admissions team meeting in two weeks to emphasize again how the library can be marketed and introduced during tours. I'm looking forward to it - some of the better admission reps have succumbed to the "this is the library - pretty self-explanatory" and "it may be small, but it's pretty powerful" presentations.

Jan said...

I didn't do formal workshops, I just had drinks with them! Well, they are these protein shakes they are all drinking in admissions. LOL
I also sit with them in staff meetings. Now several come by to say hi, or visit. One rep helps a current student with Paralegal stuff, and we are now friends through that experience!