Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Benefits of grading the collection

I have started the "grading of the library collection" with two faculty members. One was with the HIT instructor and the other was with the Health Sciences instructor. The Health Sciences instructor who teaches mainly Anatomy and Physiology was able to help out with general science, psychology, chemistry, medicine, nursing and human anatomy, physiology, microbiology. What I have found is that we are at about a D through C, C+ level in these areas. The best part is that both faculty members have since sent me lists of resources to add to the collection to bring it up to a C/B level. What I couldn't do through emailing Faculty Recommendation Forms twice a quarter is happening through grading the collection. I hope it continues to work this way.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I think I was gone when the 'collection grading' was covered--does anyone have a URL or sheets on this (or point me to chipsnet if it's there)?

Thank you!!!:-)

Chandra said...

Sara, the sheet is on ChipsNet and in your librarian binder. In the Policies and Copyright section, the grading sheet is part of the collection development policy. There isn't a new sheet to use; just use the existing one as a starting point.

LisaS said...

Last Friday, my academic dean had all full-time faculty take a field trip to the library to help me with the grading. It was busy! It was great though because many of the instructors had not really looked at the collection since I weeded and moved. There were many suggestions and when I get a chance I will post them. I have already sent all the nursing suggestions but I have more now in different areas.

There was some concern over the dotting system. Some items were not in areas that they would have thought and the faculty felt that students would not find them if they were using the dot system and did not ask for help. An example is Accounting felt that the Stat books and bankruptcy should be labeled as Accounting because they cover these topics in courses. I am thinking of moving the books recommended as it will be in the notes as to where to find them. Any thoughts on this?

Beth said...

Lisa, I do have my stats and bankruptcy books in the accounting area, which seems to be working for students and faculty. I've spoken with faculty about setting up grading times, but no one has come in yet, I need to get a bit more forceful about my request!