Friday, May 16, 2008

So, what's a CMDS?

Thank you all for the congratulations & kind words on my committee appointment!

I thought I would explain a little more about the division- section- committee for clarification. As I'm sure most of you know, the American Library Association has a number of divisions - and round tables (like the Video Round Table that Emily emailed us about a little while ago). I am a member of the division Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS - pronounced "alex" or close to that as I learned at Midwinter). ALCTS provides continuing ed, standards, publications, etc. relating to Collections, Acquisitions, Serials, Cataloging, and Preservation. The section for collections is Collection Management & Development Section, or CMDS, and includes a number of committees. One such committee is Collection Assessment.

More info at- http://www.ala.org/ala/alcts/alcts.cfm

1 comment:

Beth said...

This sounds really fun, to get involved with the network of librarians on the state and national level, keep us informed and Congrats.