Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Few Updates

Wasn't that blog title original? My evening just sparks of creativity. Anyway...

Thank you for your patience with me this past week and for those who shared condolences. I know that some of your work/productivity was affected by the goings on, and I hope that whatever I didn't finish last week will be quickly resolved early this week.

I also apologize about my miscommunication about the teleconferences/meetings with the OPAC vendors. We had to make a change due to travel restrictions. As soon as I have more information about the TLC webinar, I will let you know. For those of you in the Twin Cities, I do hope that you can take part in person (lunch will be provided). Otherwise, I hope you can all attend via phone. I know that the second webinar is long, but this is a huge purchase for us and it deserves our attention and careful consideration (in my humble opinion).

On a lighter note... thanks to Jan and Hilary for their INCREDIBLE work last week. We FULLY cataloged (I think) nearly 700 items for the Fort Myers collection. We worked nearly nonstop for two days (12 hours per day). We took only a few breaks to complete some interviews and to buy MORE books from Barnes and Noble. We still have about 200 titles left to deal with, one way or another, which will be resolved during a later visit. I'm very proud of their work and pleased that the Fort Myers campus will have a functional library at its opening in July.

Just an FYI on a few other things - I have submitted MOST of your Baker and Taylor orders, and you should be receiving them this week. Additionally, I didn't have anyone ask for me to submit DEMCO orders for them - so if you do need me to do that, let me know.

A few things I plan to resolve this week:

1. I have no idea why the patron profile code is missing from ALEPH. I have a ticket into PALS and I hope to get resolution soon. In the meantime, I did provide some suggestions via e-mail late last week for a temporary fix.

2. I'm working on a recommended journal titles list. To date, it lists over 200 titles. I'm going to divide the list by categories and whether or not I recommend for titles to be in print or online. I hope that you'll find the list useful as you prepare your renewals and new orders for journal titles. (PS, if you have recommendations for me to add for everyone, now is a good time to let me know.)

3. Finishing up LibQUAL stuff. I have to get some numbers for an end-survey, and also get gift cards for our winners (this may have to wait until I have some moola in the bank).

4. Post about some required yearly print titles. I have a few in mind but I would like your help.

I will be doing calls with everyone this week. I look forward to talking with you.

-Emily

3 comments:

Sara said...

If we have an instructor request periodicals for us to add, should we have them fill out the fac. request form also (it is early mon. and no caffine yet so excuse if this is a really dumb question):-)

Emily said...

I would prefer that they fill one out... but I don't want that to prevent them from giving us the request. What was the title?

Jan said...

Just think what cataloging Ft. Myers would have been like with Polaris... One can dream :)