Monday, May 12, 2008

Polaris and TLC

As I look at both Polaris and TLC, I have a few thoughts and questions. It is a fact that any new system we look at is going to be better than what we have with ALEPH. However, exactly what is it we want in this new system? Have we made a list of priorities? Is simple, quick cataloging our #1 need, or the quality of reports we can pull or is it the usability of the pac from the student end? What would you list as the top five areas/things you want from this new system? Here are a few of my thoughts.
#1 - A flashy, simple interface that our students will be drawn to and feel compelled to use
#2 - Simplify our cataloging
#3 - Ability to interact with CLASS and import student info, pictures, etc.

I can not think of more at this time. I must go and help a student. I would love to know what each of you think is the most important component of a new system!

6 comments:

Amy Springer said...

I am a TLC fan. I think the company thinks futuristically about libraries, and the needs of patrons. I think they will be proactive about improving services, and I think their tech-support sounds wonderful.

LisaS said...

Priorities of a new system:
1) Ease of use for the librarian and student
2) Reports that make sense
3) Ability to import student information

Jan said...

Intuitive user interface (student/staff).

Homepage that "markets" the library.

Ease of use updating/deleting collection.

Reports.

Beth said...

1-Eye catching intuitive interface
2-Ease of cataloguing
3-Adaptability to evolving technology
4-Student information inclusion
5-clarity in running reports

Kate Bessey said...

I also like TLC. I think it is more student/user friendly and I like the word/tag clouds. Also, it really seems like we'll get the support we need through TLC. I also love the fact that we can import data from CLASS and maybe integrate some other aspects of the student ID process.

Jan said...

Rock on Pat... I think you have made good points. For me One stop shopping for us and the patrons.