Friday, December 07, 2007

Open APA workshop success..

I have to share.. I did a workshop on Wednesday night, and 9 people came. I ran out of pizza! It was very exciting. To get the students there, I enticed them with advertising pizza and opportunities to get extra credit. I think most students were there for the extra credit.

I know some librarians are against bribing students with pizza or extra credit, BUT I made the students work. I got them in the door with the pizza and extra credit, but I think all the students learned a lot about APA/Noodlebib/paraphrasing/quoting. I created the powerpoint to be about Minnesota and specifically the Vikings.

You know the slide in Emily's ppt that has 2 columns?
You do not have to credit ____, you do have to credit ____? Well, I changed that slide to:

no credit: It snows in Minnesota
credit: The Metro region averaged 35.5 inches of snow in '06-07

no credit: Ice fishing is dangerous when there isn't enough ice
credit: Pickup trucks and large fish houses should be on ice at least 12 inches thick.

no credit: Minnesota is the home to the Minnesota Vikings football team.
credit: Ragnar is the Vikings' team mascot. He holds the current world record for fastest time shaving a beard with an ax.

*Since these MNstats were interesting to the students, I could tell that they were digesting the information.

Then, I had them practice paraphrasing and quoting from an article that I printed from the Minneapolis Star Tribune about the Vikings. I had them use Noodlebib to get a citation for that article. The students (especially males) were really engaged with reading the Vikings article and having to put the football article into their own words. I love using pop culture/regional culture to "make it click" with students.
§

9 comments:

Chandra said...

Amy, what great ideas! I love how you tied pop culture in with information literacy. An article I read yesterday said that one way to "win over" students is for librarians to help students use library resources to research non-homework topics. Congrats on your successful session.

KarenE said...

hmmmm...

Sounds like a bit biased, Amy. I mean, how COULD you use that team as your example?

KarenE said...

Just kidding. You just knew I HAD to say something, didn't you? I AM married that other particular "mafia", you know!

KJJ said...

That was very clever, Amy.

Was the extra credit for the classes you taught or did you get teachers to agree to give out EC?

Amy Springer said...

I had about 5 teachers say that they were interested in giving extra credit. So, I didn't advertise anything about EC on my signage. The instructors that were offering EC for my workshops had told their students.

Chandra- can you please send me that article?

Beth said...

This is wonderful! I'm going to "borrow" your idea for my open workshops next quarter. I'm so glad this engaged your students.

Amy Springer said...

Karen- I encourage you to use Packer stats in your next workshop ;)

KarenE said...

You better believe I'll be using Packers stats! :D

Kate Bessey said...

Nice idea! It's great that your faculty supported you and your efforts by offering extra credit. That really helps! Glad the students "got it"!