Thursday, December 06, 2007

Meeting with the Admission Reps...

I met with the Reps on Friday and, all in all, it went well. I started off very generally - I used the opportunity for a lesson in what librarianship is about and the various hats I wear.

I had a packet of stuff for them, everything from the ALA's Bill of Rights to how the RCLS is set up. I used a version of Chandra's RCLS sheet, as well as a run-down on the services and materials we as a system hold.

I ended with two ABSOLUTES they needed to always remember, especially when they give tours:
  • Whenever possible, ALWAYS bring in potential students into the library. I've had many just by-pass the library all together. No one is here right now. There is no reason not to come into the library.
  • NEVER start off by saying, "I know this library is small, but ...." Instead, I suggested something like, "What you see here is the tip of the iceberg for all of the resources that are available to you."
Thanks to all of you who assisted and made recommendations!

2 comments:

Chandra said...

Congrats on having a successful meeting. I love the positive wording about being "the tip of the iceberg." I may steal that from you when I meet with my reps.

KarenE said...

:) Steal away! I'm sure I stole it from someone anyway. :)

As a follow up, the reps were pleased with the info. I shared. I tend to get a bit, ahem, over zealous when it comes down to sharing librarianship with non-librarians, but I thought it was important for everyone to hear what it was all about, esp. since some of them didn't think it was necessary to bring people into the library.

The DOA was surprised and thrilled that the GB campus was connected not only to the other RCLS libraries, but also with other academic, special and public libraries in the area. That was a big help to her.