Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Student Orientation update

I have to say, I'm pretty darn pleased with how this turned out.  We had the first of four student orientations today, and for the most part, it went well.  I wanted to create the library portion as more interactive as opposed to just me spewing out statistics.  I came up with the theme of a library "quiz" - the new students' first quiz of what they might know, and what they should know, about the Rasmussen College Library System.  

I created the slides first with Office 2007, but I wanted to get them into the library and use the AWESOME large monitors on the Mac.  To do that, of course, I needed to figure out Mac's version of PowerPoint - KeyNote.  I then was able to publish it with QuickTime!  You'll need to pause the "movie" to read all the bullet points.  Thanks to Chandra for the awesome "Librarian Secrets to Success!"

Orientation #2 is tomorrow night.  




7 comments:

Chandra said...

Karen, that's so creative! I love it! Great job!

KJJ said...

Karen, great job! I hope the second orientation goes as well for you.

Unknown said...

Great job, Great video!

KarenE said...

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't mention that I was able to start my habit of 'bribing' students to come into the library (and thus get to know me) with chocolate! If anyone got one of the answers right, they got a candy. And I have the good stuff! :) I'm not above giving bribes!

Amy Springer said...

Karen, I am really impressed!!!!!!!! I love the quiz! Nice work!!!

LisaS said...

Karen I loved the video. I have not been asked to talk about the library at orientation time. Do the rest of you do a presentation? All I have been asked to do is take pictures for the photo ID's. This time around though we are going to hand the ID's out from the library so that we can get the new students back into the library.

Beth said...

Karen, this is wonderful, I think this would be a great marketing tool for new and current students at all our campuses. Good work!