Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cultural Component of Plagiarism

I just read an article that emphasized the different international perceptions of plagiarism. There are international societies that believe information is shared and therefore owned by the whole society. 85% of the "scholastic dishonesty" cases at the U of M were from non-native speakers of English! I think that being knowledgeable about this cultural issue can only help us as librarians to be more aware of the needs of our international students.

Click here to read the C & RL article.

An older article on the same topic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great article. I'm actually struggling with this right now in terms of social media and what parameters need to be established.

I think it's only going to get crazier as students harness cheap technologies (e.g. blogging, video blogging, podcasting, etc.)

I can see these lines blurring even further.

Great post.

Cheers,

Mark.