Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Personality Surveys

I was just reading through the Survey Monkey comments (for those of you who have not yet completed your survey - that would be around 8 of you - SLACKERS!)... and one of the comments mentioned that we didn't discuss our personality types.

I meant to mention them during the Dean-Librarian Communication presentation, but it slipped my mind. As mentioned, though, your own understanding of your personality type is critical to understanding how you work (alone) and how you best work with others. It also speaks to the areas that you may need improvement - for example, an introverted person may have fears when presenting to a group, etc.

I am an INFJ: Introverted (57%), Intuitive (91%), Feeling (55%), & Judging (55%). I find it interesting that in three of the categories, I almost could have steered either direction.

I especially like this quote from the definition of an INFJ:
"They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the wordl. On the contrary - INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few..."

So...

1. What were your results?
2. Do you agree/disagree and why?
3. How do you think that you can use this information to improve your relationship with your Academic Dean or other managers on your campus/in our system?
4. If you've taken a similar test in the past, are your results close or not at all alike?

7 comments:

Sara said...

My results were:
ISTJ
Introverted (61%)
Sensing (59%)
Thinking (50%)
Judging (68%)

I was surprised I was higher in the judging catagory than I normally am. I have taken similar personality tests with somewhat similar results but have also changed the results by going back in and retaking the test and going more slowly over the answers or going faster (depends how I answered in the first taking of it). I've read articles (and there have been books written) about how these types of tests don't really 'measure' well at a scientific level. (Must be that 'doubting Thomas' coming out--he's mentioned in the explinations;-)
I hope I'm not so 'doom and gloom' in my life, according to my results. (and dang it, I Like Eeyore, one of the fictional ISTJs!!!).

Cynthia said...

I am not posting my percentages, but it is clear that I am an ISTJ without much wavering. When I took the test for my last job, 2 years ago, I scored the same and neither was a surprise to me. Many of the traits listed for ISTJ fit me well, but the career paths do not. Duty Fulfiller is rather boring, but I suppose that is me. The HR person from my last job was also an ISTJ and she said that we know the correct way to do things and cannot understand when others don't do it our way. ;^)

Amy Springer said...

My results:
ENTP
Extraverted 64%
Intuitive 68%
Thinking 70%
Perceiving 73%

From:
http://typelogic.com/entp.html:

"'Clever' is the word that perhaps describes ENTPs the best"

This scares me..

"ENTPs tend to be oblivious of the rest of humanity, except as an audience -- good, bad, or potential."

"they tend to be extremely petulant about small setbacks and inconveniences"

EEEEK alert: "ENTPs have little patience with those they consider wrongheaded or unintelligent, and show little restraint in demonstrating this."

*I guess it is great to be more aware of my faults, YIKES!

Other ENTPs: Teddy Roosevelt, Thomas Edison, David Spade

Anonymous said...

ISFJ

This hasn't really changed from the last 2 times I've taken similar tests (work, grad school). For the most part, I agree w/the results but for some of the questions I could've answered either way.

I liked this part in the explanations: "...childlike Ne is... likely the source ...practical joking, punning, and (usually harmless) impishness of some ISFJs".

LisaS said...

I took the test twice because I was 50% Sensing and 50% Intuitive. Like many of you though I have taken different versions of this test and I come up with ISFJ. The introverted part never surprised me until the last time a presenter mentioned that those who were introverted would be more tired at the end of the day because you spend most of your day extroverted and that it takes a lot of energy to do that. Light bulb moment for me! This time the part that stood out was that ISFJ's are often unappreciated because they are "relied on for theri loyalty and unstinting, high-quality work". How true this is at home. When I am not around I am missed terribly by all but they have not figured out that it is because they have all come to depend on me to do it. I am coordinating the Sunday School program at school and I will have to be careful that people just expect me to do it.

Beth said...

My results were: ISFJ, Introverted, Sensing, feeling, judging
I do agree with the results, although like Sara I am surprised at my score in the "judging" section. I do admitt a bit of the "need to be needed" personality trait mentioned in ISFJ's and "the do it yourself if you want it done right" mentality. I think having work-studies has been good for me in this aspect of forcing me to delegate some tasks.

Brad the Builder said...

Wow, interesting stuff. I'll take the test later!