Thursday, November 01, 2007

Tidbits from a Hybrid

The title might be a bit strange, Tidbits from a Hybrid, but it does reflect my academic training and interests throughout my career--I only have 7 more years to go. I obtained my first degree 35 years ago in the field of anthropology and psychology. It was a mere bachelor of arts degree, but something was something. I had been just recently discharged from the Army after my Vietnam tour in 1968-69. My Vietnam experience has had a lasting impression on me. But I have been able to cope with it all these years.

Shortly thereafter, I entered my first Masters program in library science, finishing the degree in two (2) full years with summers. I worked in residence; that is, there was no such a thing as "online" versions of obtaining a master's or doctorate degrees. I view negatively the "online" environment of obtaining a full education. A few years later, and working as a librarian in a local university in Puerto Rico, I went on to the obtain a second Master's degree in folklore and literature. Again, a residence program; no "online"; just plain old scholarship, reading and writing papers. It took me 2 years to finish it. By that time I was working at Gary Public Library (Indiana) as a reference and local history librarian. Immediately after graduating I went on to The University of Chicago to obtain a certificate of advanced studies beyond the Masters.

As you can see, I have been constantly studying and working for many years. It was a challenge to be both student, worker, husband and father, but the Lord helped me out; not to abandon my wife and children. They represented (and still do) the great priority in my life. About 2 years ago (I had been working on a doctorate in English language and literature for some 5.5 years), I was awarded a doctorate (non-online) in English from the University of Puerto Rico, with a specialty in Anglo-Caribbean literature. I have also been teaching English for the same amount of years. I guess, as you can appreciate it, I am a kind of hybrid, being a librarian, folklorist, professor of literature, poet and short story writer. It is probably this that gets me many times into trouble with supervisors.

I hope you enjoy this posting. By the way, this is my first or second posting, and I am just experimenting. I also have been blogging for a few years, and you can view my students' blogs at the following url: http://www.srs-pr.com/blog-2/ Sorry if I sound ego-centric; I am not, once you get to know me. See you all in two weeks or so ...... God bless. / Serafin Roldan

6 comments:

Emily said...

I find your view of online degrees interesting... my Masters degree program from Florida State University was fully online.

Amy Springer said...

Most of my Grad coursework was "in house," but I did take 1 online course. I will be forever grateful for taking that 1 online course. That class helped me understand the psychology and sociology of online instruction which has immensely helped me understand the needs of our online students at Rasmussen. Prior to taking my online course, I was skeptical of "distance learning" in higher ed, but I came out a strong supporter of it b/c my class was challenging and engaging.

Anonymous said...

I only took two online courses in grad school, and one of those was more email than through a CMS. The 2nd one - Collection Development- was truly online through WebCT. While I don't prefer online, it was certainly easier with the course material... would have put me to sleep in the classroom. Definitely different learning vs. doing CD.

For those that don't know yet, I'm back in grad school, pursuing a 2nd MA in American Studies, by BA is also AMS. The program at the Tampa campus is in a classroom setting but we also have to post online & do part of one project using Blackboard. I think one reason I prefer the classroom is due to my being an auditory/visual learner.

Amy Springer said...

Hilary- Best of luck in your MA in American Studies. How exciting!

LisaS said...

My last coursework was mostly online. I found the classes harder because of the lack social contact with the instructor. There were more ways you had to be accountable. Some examples were blogs to discuss the chapters being read, assignments due weekly to show that you understand the material being covered and of course final assignments to make sure that you got the jist of the course. I have to say that I felt I learned more because online you are proving that you understand what was read. There were times I did not understand material but the blogging helped tremendously because of my classmates input. I am considering going back to school but online again so that I can squeeze it into my busy life. The one hope that keeps me going is that my daughters will see how important education is to further yourself and career.

Chandra said...

Serafin, it was good to learn more about you. I admire your constant efforts to add to your knowledge.